Employers Cannot Discriminate On The Basis Of Religion Or Politics
If you feel you have been victimized at work due to your religion, the lawyers at Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC, can help. Our attorneys have a dedicated focus on employment law matters and have helped hundreds of clients successfully address these complex legal matters.
Strict workplace laws prohibit discrimination and harassment and retaliation based on a person’s religious beliefs. In most cases, an employer may not:
- Refuse to hire an employee based on religious beliefs
- Fire, demote or bypass for promotion due to religion
- Harass an individual or create a hostile work environment due to his or her religious beliefs (or ignore when other employees are doing so)
- Deny appropriate scheduling requests to accommodate a worker’s religious activity
- Mandate that an employee wear certain clothing or keep certain grooming practices that are not in accordance with the employee’s religious beliefs
Political Discrimination In The Workplace
California law prohibits employers from discriminating against an employee due to his or her political views or activity. This legal protection may extend to workers who:
- Verbalize political support for a particular candidate or political party
- Attend political rallies
- Participate in political fundraising
- Refuse an employer’s request to donate to a specific political candidate
It is important to note that your political activity must not infringe upon the rights of other employees, or your employer may be legally allowed to discipline you or terminate your employment.
How Our Law Firm Can Help
Each individual will face a different set of circumstances and we can help you understand if you have a valid legal claim. Contact us to learn more. You may also call our San Diego office at 619-780-2820 or our Palm Springs office at 760-501-0615 or toll free at 800-685-6950 from anywhere in California to discuss your matter directly and schedule a free initial consultation.